Recreate the classic flavours of surf 'n' turf with this BBQ style pastrami and seaweed salad recipe by Pascal Aussignac of Club Gascon. A perfect midweek supper paired with a Johnnie Highball
Weeknight BBQ Style Pastrami
Serves: 1 | Preparation time: 30 minutes | Cooking time: 72 hours | Difficulty: Experienced
- 300g short rib of beef
- 50g pastrami seasoning mix (juniper, white pepper, black pepper, salt, rosemary)
- 2 tbsp duck fat
- 4 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsp xipister vinegar
- 1 tsp tomato compote
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 80g tapioca pearls
- 40g mixed seaweed (dulse, sea lettuce)
- 1 shallot
- 2 sprigs dill
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Take the beef and rub on pastrami seasoning mix. Once crusted place into a vacuum bag with a touch of duck fat and cook for 72 hours at 56 degrees in a water bath. Alternatively, if you don't have a water bath the meat can be cooked at the same low temperature in an oven or slow cooker.
- To make the tomato glaze, mix the ketchup, xipister vinegar, tomato compote, chopped rosemary and Worcestershire sauce. Put aside for later.
- Next, prepare the salad. Blanch tapioca pearls for 4 minutes, drain and set aside to cool.
- Break up the seaweed and mix with chopped dill, finely chopped shallot, olive oil and season to taste. Combine with the tapioca pearl.
- To serve, thinly slice the meat and cover with the tomato glaze. Blowtorch the meat to melt the fat and achieve the barbecue effect.
- Serve with the salad and Johnnie Walker Black Label Highball. Et voila!
Serves: 1 | Duration: 5 minutes | Difficulty: Easy
- 45ml Johnnie Walker Black Label whisky
- 2-3 drops of barrel-aged bitters 180ml of tonic water (Fever Tree if possible)
- Sprig of rosemary
- Add all the ingredients over ice in a highball glass.
- Lightly stir with a bar spoon to combine and garnish with a long sprig of rosemary.