Carrot and spiced halloumi salad with carrot top pesto recipe
6 as a side
For the pesto:
- 1 large handful of carrot tops from 8 carrots, tough stems removed
- 1 small handful mint leaves
- 1 large handful parsley leaves
- 1 small handful toasted almonds
- 1 large clove garlic
- 200ml extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Large pinch of sea salt and black pepper
For the spiced halloumi:
- 1 block or 250g halloumi, sliced into 8 and cubed
- 2tsp ground cumin
- 1tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1tsp aleppo chilli
- 1.5tbsp maple syrup
- Sea salt
For the garnish:
- 1 small handful pistachios
- 1 small handful pumpkin seeds
- 1 large handful pomegranate seeds
- Lemon or orange juice
- Extra virgin olive oil or Argan oil, for drizzling
- Sprinkle aleppo pepper
- First make the pesto. Clean the carrot tops and put all the pesto ingredients in a food processor except for the extra virgin olive oil. Pulse and drizzle in the extra virgin olive oil until you have a pesto, keeping a bit of texture and season to taste.
- To prepare the carrots, use a speed peeler to slice the carrots into thick long strips or ribbons.
- Next, toast the nuts and seeds for just under a minute then set aside. In the same frying pan, toast the spices for a minute until fragrant, stirring to stop them burning.
- Add ghee to the pan and allow to melt on a high heat. Add the halloumi and let fry until golden on each side, adding the maple syrup for the last 30 seconds.
- To serve, top each portion with some hot fried halloumi and toss over the pomegranate seeds. Drizzle over the pesto and give everything a good squeeze of lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil and sea salt.